Saturday, September 6, 2008

New Browsers - Google Chrome and Explorer 8

Google enters the market with a new browser pretty much at the same time as Microsoft releases latest beta of IE8. Of course I had to try both:

Chrome: Loved it at first, best feature being the combination of the search and url bar BUT as I found out that autofill, word memory and spelling was not available I had to abandon it. Spelling and autofill is something I use many times every day. This actually is a feature in the Google Toolbar I am now using in Firefox 3 (yeah, back to Firefox for now). I had some Java-problems at first but got that solved.

IE8: Downloaded but before I explored further I noticed that the same Google toolbar I use so much with IE7/Firefox was not available for IE8 I went back to Firefox again.

The lesson for users: Don't jump on the first releases

The lesson for Google/Microsoft: Don't release these products without features (at least electable features) that you KNOW are commonly used and how you grabbed, increased or maintained market share in the first place.

I did manage to test the WrapMail email marketing Control Panel with Chrome and found it to be 100% compatible so that was pleasing.

No comments:

DIGG