Tuesday, July 22, 2008

US Banking

I don't get it! I go online to my bank, Citibank, and pay my Landscaper. The bank turns around a few days later and prints a check that they send via the US Postal system. Is this 2008 in a modern world where internet is abundant and I can watch TV on my cell phone? I happen to also have an account in Europe and there internet banking works a little differently:

I go online, enter the recipients account number (nobody writes checks there anymore, every bill is electronic and always has the recipients account number on it), the amount and confirm. Within seconds the funds have arrived in the recipients account. Furthermore, most bills now show up in my bank account (that's right, not in the mailbox) and there I can approve or not - it's one click. These transactions are bank-independent! There's no such thing as waiting for a week or two for a check to clear.

When will the US Banks get coordinated and make this simple for their clients? Of course the banks like to ride the money and make interest but I'm afraid that this hurts them in the long run: Let the clients have immediate access to THEIR money and as such become more effecient and more profitable - this will lead to larger deposits and need for other banking services.

Efficiency on all levels is what will grow the economy.


1 comment:

SBetters said...

I like the idea you have of having health information on your phone (medication list, past medical history, family history, allergys) that is retrievable (and updateable?) on the internet. My hospital is all pretty much online now and it would be VERY easy to go to a website enter the patient information and view everything... then update it and have it save to the phone as well for next time. Now we are limited to information that we have from previous admission in our hospital group.. For example if someone from out of town shows up or someone who hasn't been to our hospital/offices before we are S.O.L! Even more so if the patient is confused or unconscious.

You know- it wouldn't be that difficult to market a website that people could sign up for and enter their own information in then carry a card in their wallet with the password to their site. Many patients already carry this list of information in their wallet-- it's usually the crumpled up and smudged little piece of paper. This would be hugely accepted ... doctor's offices would love it!!! How easy!!! Maybe a future project for us??? I would LOVE to get into something like that- especially when I have my own office and patients in a couple years!!!

DIGG